Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I contact Fun in the Sun?
- We can be contacted at all times on our cellular phones by text or phone call
- Bonnie: 610-659-1064 Dora: 215-680-0922
- or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I know what changes, if any, have been made in the daily schedule?
- Any updates (changes on the schedule due to weather…etc) throughout the day will be posted on the home page of our website, on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Funinthesun3 or Twitter page: https://twitter.com/funinthesuncamp.
Where do I park at USG?
Directions to: Unitarian Society of Germantown
This is where you should park: at the Parking lot in the rear of the Church. See below.
- There is a large parking lot in the rear of the church on Johnson Street between Wayne Avenue & Greene Street (use 359 W Johnson St to locate the entrance to the parking lot with GPS.). To get to the parking lot from Lincoln Drive, turn left on Wayne and left again on Johnson or turn right on W. Hortier, right on Greene and right on Johnson.
- Public Transportation: Accessible by Regional Rail Line (R8 - Chestnut Hill West – Upsal Train Station) just two blocks North of the Church. Also, accessible by the bus Route “53” (Wayne Avenue and Lincoln Drive) and bus Route “H” (Lincoln Drive and Hortier Street) buses.
Directions to: Plymouth Swim club
From USG to Plymouth swim club:
Start out going southwest on W Johnson St toward Wayne Ave. Take the 1st right onto Wayne Ave. Take the 1st left onto W Cliveden St. Turn slight left onto Park Line Dr. Enter next roundabout and take the 1st exit onto W Walnut Ln. Turn right onto Henry Ave. Henry Ave becomes Ridge Ave. Ridge Ave becomes Ridge Pike. Turn right onto Chemical Rd. Turn left onto Gallagher Rd. Go for about a mile, Plymouth swim club is on the right.
From Blue Route:
Take I-476 north to Norristown Exit 18B. At bottom of ramp turn left onto Chemical Road. At first traffic light turn left onto Gallagher Road.
Travel one mile to 1724 Gallagher Road. Plymouth Swim Club is on the right.
What is the daily schedule for our Mt. Airy (USG) location?
Children can be dropped off at camp anywhere between 7:30-10:30am. At 11:00am we get everyone together to do a final roll call and get ready to go on the bus which takes us to the swim club.
During the morning hours, between 7:30-11:00, the children can choose their activities, either indoor or outside. We have an art program, sports, games, book corner, construction area, or hanging out outside drawing with sidewalk chalk, blowing bubbles, talking to friends....
Our weekly trips are pre-scheduled. We usually take them on Wednesdays.
We may sometimes have a spur of the moment trip if the weather is not good enough to go to the pool.
At the end of the day, we leave the pool at 5:00, returning to USG at approximately 5:30.
On trip days, we may return a bit earlier.
Is the schedule the same at the pool location?
- Yes, except for the bus rides to the pool.
Can I change my pick-up location?
- You have the option to pick up at the pool until 6:00. If this is not your usual pick-up, please inform us when you drop of your child or by phone or text no later than 4:00 that day.
How will my child be supervised?
- Our counselors have rotating pool duties so there is always a counselor, in addition to the pool lifeguards, at every pool. The children are never unsupervised in the pools.
- We also have a counselor stationed at the playground, the snackbar, the ping pong area and on the playing field.
- Additional counselors are available at all times “under the tree.”
Does Fun in the Sun apply sunblock?
- Every camper gets slathered up by their counselor before we leave for the swim club (11:00ish) at USG around the same time at the swim club location. At 2pm we give a 2nd coat of sunscreen. For kids who burn easily, we do more applications.
Does Fun in the Sun offer swimming lessons?
- Not at the moment. Our swimming instructor is moving to Florida. We are looking for another instructor.
What will my child need on his/her first day of camp?
- On your camper’s first day, please be sure to bring with you the completed emergency form if it wasn't mailed with the registration. Returning campers need to complete a new emergency form every year as well.
- Your child will also need to wear or bring a bathing suit, towel, sunblock, and a lunch or money for lunch.
- Please also include a pair of socks in a ziplock bag . Many field trips require that your child wear socks and, in this way, your child will always be prepared.
- It is best for everyone if all of your child’s belongings are packed into a backpack.
- Please be sure to clearly label all of your child’s belongings.
Can my camper bring a cell phone or electronic device?
- Your child may bring electronics but Fun in the Sun is not responsible for breakage or loss. If your child would like Bonnie or Dora to hold the gadget during the day, they would be happy to do so. Be sure the item is clearly labeled with your child’s name.
How do I pay for camp?
- Payment for each week of camp is due on the first day of the week.
- In an effort to ease Monday morning congestion, simply fill out the form attached below and insert in an envelope with your check and pool money. You may also add the snack money for your child if you want us to hold it for them. Pool money and snack money must be in cash.
- In this way you can just drop off the envelope and be on your way. Click here --->Payment form.
- Make checks payable to: Fun In The Sun.
Does the camp tuition also include entry to the swim club and trip fees?
- Entry to the swim club is not included in the tuition.
- Plymouth Swim Club entry fee for non-members is $7.00 per day.
- Our trip fees normally range from $8.00 - $12.00.
Do you give a sibling discount?
- Due to the fact that we keep our prices as low as possible, we do not give sibling discounts. If you have more than 2 children, contact us and we can talk.
Is there a charge for before care or extended day?
- There is no additional charge for before and after care. Fun in the Sun hours are from 7:30am until 6:00 pm. Your child may be dropped off anytime between 7:30 and 10:30am and be picked up between 5:30 and 6:00pm. There is a charge of $1 a minute for pickup after 6:00pm.
Is lunch or snack provided?
We provide both a morning and an afternoon snack.
Lunch is not provided. Campers can bring their lunch or buy at the snack bar <---(click to see menu).
We do not have facilities to refrigerate or heat a camper’s lunch.
Can I change the dates I that I have registered my child for Fun in the Sun?
- There is no charge if you change your child’s attendance dates at least one week in advance. You are responsible for the tuition for any changes made less than a week in advance.
Can I add dates for my child to attend Fun in the Sun?
- Any last minute requests will be dependent upon space availability.
What field trips are planned for Summer 2016?
What days are field trips scheduled?
- Most field trips are on Wednesdays. On occasion, we may have a Thursday trip. In the case of inclement weather, we may schedule a spur of the moment trip.
When can my child become a Junior Counselor?
- Once your child turns 13, s/he can be considered to work as a junior counselor at Fun in the Sun. Junior Counselors are still considered campers. Parents still need to pay camp tuition until they become counselors at 14 or 15. JC’s help out the counselors with specific duties but continue to have lots of free time to play. They get paid $25 every Friday. Having your child be a JC gives them the opportunity to take responsibility and learn what is expected. It also gives us the opportunity to observe and evaluate how s/he will handle the job as counselor once s/he is eligible to apply for the job of counselor.